Sunday, April 5, 2020

RunningIsLife Day 8: 2017 Mt. Charleston Marathon


For 10 days, I’m posting a running photo, along with a brief recollection of the race where the photo was taken.  Here’s todays photo:


This is one of the official race photos from the Revel Mt. Charleston Marathon in 2017.  This is a steep downhill race, with roughly 5,000 feet of elevation drop.  I’ve done four of their races.  Races like this have the potential to be blazing fast, but there’s no guarantee.  Running on a steep downgrade for 26.2 miles requires some technique.

My results in Revel races have been mixed, but in this one I had a great race.  By my fourth try, I had the technique down pat.  My goal was to qualify for the 2018 Boston Marathon.  I not only did that, but also earned guaranteed entry into the 2018 New York City Marathon.

Sadly, I can no longer do races like this one.  It was about a month after this race that I started experiencing symptoms of a herniated disc that required surgery.  I think the pounding my spine took in this race had something to do with that.  Now I’ve sworn off steep downhill races.

If you want to read more about that race, here’s a link to my race report:  2017 Mt. Charleston Marathon

No comments:

Post a Comment