Thursday, April 2, 2020

RunningIsLife Day 5: 2005 Patriots' Run


For 10 days, I’m posting a running photo, along with a brief recollection of the race where the photo was taken.  Here’s todays photo:


In 2005, I ran a fixed-time race called the Patriots’ Run.  It’s held every year on September 11th, and you run as far as you can in nine hours, 11 minutes.  I wasn’t sufficiently trained for a race like this, so I went in with low expectation.

It was 90 degrees and sunny, and the heat started to wear on me.  Halfway through the race, I already felt miserable.  I decided to hang in there long enough to finish 50 kilometers.  Then I was planning to quit.

When I finished enough laps to complete 50 kilometers, I asked how many laps the leader had.  That’s when I discovered that I was leading the race.  I decided that you can’t quit when you’re winning a race.’

I felt miserable, but I pressed on for the remaining hours.  When I race was over, I retained a one lap lead over the next runner.  It was the first time I ever won a race.

If you want to read more, here’s a link to the Throwback Thursday post I wrote four years ago:  2005 Patriots' Run

No comments:

Post a Comment