Saturday, September 12, 2020

Race Report: Running Ragged 20in20, Day 1


Today was the first day of the Running Ragged 20in20 Series.  Our venue for this race was Bend in the River Regional Park, which is just south of Rice, MN.  It’s a 14-mile drive from my hotel in St. Cloud.  This was one of the venues used for last year’s Minnesota Brother Trail Series, so I was already familiar with the course.  In particular, I knew it was fairly flat, and there wasn’t anything I was likely to trip on.
As you might guess, this park is located at a bend in the Mississippi River.  Our course took us near three scenic overlooks.




We also ran past the buildings of an old farm.


All of the races in this series are multiple laps.  Today’s course was an out-and-back route that we ran 14 times.  There was one aid station in the start/finish area.  In past years, the aid stations in these races were similar to the aid stations in large ultramarathons.  Besides water and Gatorade, they had a variety of snack food.  They also had hot entrees, cooked on site by the volunteers.  For this series, the aid station was scaled down, because of COVID-19.  Water and Gatorade were provided, but we were each responsible for refilling our own bottles.  All food was pre-packaged.
There were about two dozen runners in the marathon.  There was also a half-marathon, but that didn’t start until an hour later, so the start area wasn’t too crowded.  We all wore face coverings until we started running.  After that, they were optional, but we also needed to cover our faces if we stopped at the aid station.
The temperature at the start was in the mid-50s.  Normally, I would consider that ideal weather for racing, but I was planning to do a mixture of running and walking.  When I’m going that slow, I like it to be a little bit warmer.  I dressed like I normally would, but added a Tyvek jacket as an extra layer that I could easily take off as it warmed up.
It rained during the night, but the rain stopped before the race started.  There was a chance of more showers during the race, so I kept a rain poncho in the car.  One of the nice things about a multi-loop course is that I would be near my car every time I completed a lap.
Because the course was damp, I didn’t think it was necessary to wear gaiters.  There wasn’t going to be as much loose dirt or dust.  I didn’t want to wear them if it might rain.  Then the gaiters would just be one more thing that could soak up water and get heavy.
Last weekend, I ran a marathon wearing a knee brace.  It supported my knee well, but it was so snug that it felt somewhat binding on the back of my knee.  After wearing it for less than five hours, it caused soreness in one of the tendons on the back of my knee.  After that race, I realized wearing it every day for five or six hours wasn’t going to work.
Since then, I bought two different knee straps.  They don’t support the entire knee, but they’re less likely to cause discomfort in other areas if I wear them for several hours.  I tried out one of them on a few long walks, but I haven’t run since last Saturday, so I haven’t had any opportunity to see how much the knee straps help.  Ideally, I’d want to try them out before the race, but rest was more important.
I had no idea how my knee would feel today, or how much any of these knee supports would help.  My knee actually felt better this morning than it has at any time in the past two weeks.  I started the race without anything on my knee, so I could see how it felt.
When the race started, I tried to start my watch, but it didn’t start.  I pressed the button a few more times, and it still didn’t start.  Then I realized I was pressing the wrong button.  That’s what happens when you switch between two different styles of watch.  Once I got the watch started, I finally started running.
I ran tentatively at first.  I think I was afraid to find out how my knee would feel.  To my surprise, it didn’t hurt at all.  I could feel a difference between my right and left knees.  The right knee didn’t feel perfect, but even without a brace, it didn’t hurt.  I would have to monitor it, but as long as it didn’t hurt, I didn’t see any need to stop and put on a knee brace.
Our course was a trail course, but it was completely non-technical.  It was all gravel with nice level footing and no hills.

During my first lap, I was stopping to take pictures.  The frequent stops put me in the right mindset to start at an easy pace.
By the end of my first lap, I was warm enough that I could take off my jacket.  As I began my second lap, I started talking walking breaks.  I walked for a minute or two at the start of each lap.  At the midpoint of each lap, we made a U-turn around a cone.  I always slowed to a walk as I went around the cone.  Starting with my second lap, I continued walking for another minute or two after making the turn.
When I finished my second lap. I stopped briefly at my car to put my camera away.  I was done taking pictures and didn’t want to carry the extra weight for the whole race.  Since I was stopping anyway, I also made a bathroom stop.
Before leaving the aid station, I grabbed a fun-size Snickers bar to eat during my walking break.  I usually just drink Gatorade during races, but between the relatively late start time and my slow pace, I was going to be running through lunch every day.  If it was just one race, I could get by with just Gatorade.  Since I need to run again tomorrow, I felt it was important to start replacing calories as I ran.  After that, I never left the aid station without eating a cookie or a candy bar.
During my 4th lap, I felt a grain of sand hop into the back of my shoe, where it lodged behind my heel.  It eventually worked its way under my foot, but I began to regret not wearing gaiters.
During my 6th lap, I felt a few tiny drops.  It was beginning to drizzle, but at first it was more of a mist.  I decided to wait until my next walking break and then put on my jacket.  By the time I finished my lap, the drizzle had stopped.  It was never more than a few tiny drops here and there.
At the halfway mark, I was on pace to finish in 5:01.  Ordinarily, I would’ve sped up a little in the second half, to break five hours.  Instead, I planned to slow down.  I was just waiting for it to warm up a little.  So far, my walking breaks had been limited by how long I could walk without getting cold.  Once it got warmer, I could start taking longer walking breaks.
I took inventory of how I was feeling.  My knee didn’t feel any different than it did at the start of the race.  It didn’t quite feel normal, but it didn’t hurt.  My left Achilles tendon felt tight, and I was noticing it more with each lap.  I had noticed that during my last two races as well.  I began to worry that my Achilles tendon could turn into as big a problem as my knee.
In my 8th lap, I finally felt warmer.  I started taking longer walking breaks.  I was walking twice as far now.  As my walking breaks got longer, I started walking faster.  Instead of just walking casually, I began to power walk.  Even though I was doing more walking, I’m not sure if my average pace got any slower.
When I finished that lap, I made another bathroom stop.  I wasn’t drinking that much Gatorade, but evidently, it was more than enough.  It was a cool day, and I was taking walking breaks.  I probably wasn’t sweating as much as I normally do.
During my 11th lap, it got sunny.  That was a big surprise.  Just 30 minutes earlier, I was noticing dark clouds overhead.  Now I looked up to see blue skies and only a few puffy white clouds.
It was now warm enough that I could extend my walking breaks even more.  Once again, as I walked farther, I also walked faster.
As I was nearing the end of my 12th lap, a runner who was starting his next lap told me I was about to catch him.  That made me think.  There were two runners who were much faster than anyone else.  They were both finished already.  Up to this point, I had assumed I was in third place.  Now I realized I had been overlooking this runner.  I always saw him when we were going in opposite directions.  We seemed to be running at about the same pace.  He probably got way ahead of me in the first lap, when I was stopping to take pictures.  Since then, I had been whittling away at his lead, and now I was getting close.
With two laps to go, I decided to speed up enough to catch him.  I still took walking breaks, but I went back to only walking for a minute or two.  I also picked up my running pace.  I wasn’t going all out, but for the first time in the race, I was putting some effort into running faster.  I caught him before the end of my 13th lap.
Now that I really was in 3rd place, I could do more walking again.  With the luxury of a lead, I took my longest walking break of the race at the beginning of my last lap.  I went back to running at a more casual pace.
As I reached the turnaround, I glanced at my watch.  It was the first time I looked at it since the halfway mark.  I realized I had a chance to break five hours.  All I had to do was skip my last walking break.  I slowed to a walk as I went around the cone, but then I resumed running.
As I got closer to the finish, I could see the large digital clock.  Realizing my time would be between 4:59 and 5:00, I sped up.  I finished in 4:59:09.  The first two runners had finished more than an hour and a half earlier, but I finished in a distant third place.
I once again took inventory of how I felt.  My right knee still didn’t feel any different than it did at the start of the race.  My left Achilles tendon didn’t bother me now that I was no longer running, but I noticed it more today than I did in my last two races.  It was a concern.
At packet pickup, I received a base plate that has room for 20 small medals.  The medals for the individual races are held in place by magnets.  Originally, each medal was going to have a design reflecting the state where that race was run.  Now that the entire series was being held in Minnesota, they had to come up with a new design for the medals.  The easiest thing to do was to have them numbered 1 through 20.  The bird above the number represents a loon, which is the Minnesota state bird.  It’s also the logo of Mainly Marathons, because anyone who would do a series like this has to be loony.

In a series like this, your days are divided into two parts.  The first part is the race.  The second part is refueling and recovery.  I was eating food during the race, so I had a head start on the refueling.  I didn’t need a full meal until dinner.  When I got back to the hotel, I had two glasses of chocolate milk and a roll.
I began my recovery by putting an ice pack on my right knee for 20 minutes.  My knee didn’t bother me during the race, but that could change overnight.
After icing, I took a hot bath.  Besides washing off the salt and sweat, I wanting to loosen up  my muscles.  Then I did several stretches and worked on my legs with a massage stick.
By now, I was noticing discomfort in my knee.  It felt worse now than at any time during the race.  I iced it again.  Then I did more stretching.  I’m not done with either.  It’s an iterative process, which will continue until I go to bed.
I’ll finish my refueling by having pizza for dinner.  My dinners will double as both post-race refueling and pre-race dinners.  As it happens, pizza is both my favorite pre-race meal and my favorite post-race meal.  By the time this series is over, I may try every pizzeria in the St. Cloud area.

Race Statistics
Distance:  26.2 miles
Time:  4:59:09
Average Pace:  11:25
Lifetime Marathons/Ultras:  406
Minnesota Marathons:  59

No comments:

Post a Comment