Sunday, September 13, 2020

Race Report: Running Ragged 20in20, Day 2


Today was day two of the Running Ragged 20in20 Series.  Our course today was one I’ve never run before.  It was a paved trail at the Sartell Community Center.  I was excited to be running on pavement.  Not only was it surface with sure footing, but it’s a good surface for walking.
Our course was an out-and-back loop.  We ran from the aid station to a pond.  Then we ran counter-clockwise around the pond, turned around, and ran clockwise back around the same pond.  Finally, we turned and ran back to the aid station.  We needed to do this 18 times

I arrived a little earlier today, because we were taking a group photo as a tribute to Ila Brandli.  Ila has been a regular with Mainly Marathons, but she’s not here for this series, because she’s recovering from surgery.  Ila often dressed as Wonder Woman, so several of the other runners ordered Wonder Woman shirts.  Those of us who didn’t have a Wonder Woman shirt wore something red, white, and blue.
The temperature at the start was in the low 50s, which was similar to yesterday.  Unlike yesterday, there wasn’t any threat of rain.  The sun was out, so I expected it to warm up during the race.
I had another concern besides my right knee.  I was also worried about my left Achilles tendon.  Earlier in the year, I had a case of tendonitis at the insertion point that took months to heal.  I thought it was fully healed, but that same Achilles tendon has been feeling tight during my last three races.  One bright spot is that I was running on pavement today, so I didn’t have to worry about uneven footing.
Yesterday, I did far more walking than running.  Today, my plan was to do more walking and work on walking at a faster pace.  I knew walking would be easier on my knee than running.
For the second straight day, I opted to start running without any type of support for my knee.  If it didn’t hurt, I would continue running that way.  If it did, I could stop and put on a knee strap.
As I started running, I noticed some slight discomfort in my right knee.  It wasn’t a big deal, but I noticed it more than yesterday.  That only lasted for a minute or two.  Once I got warmed up, my knee felt about the same as yesterday.
While my knee got better, my left Achilles tendon got worse.  It felt tight within minutes of starting.  Then I felt a few brief twinges of pain.  I was suddenly much more worried about the Achilles tendon than I was about the knee.
I considered walking, but I didn’t want to walk for the whole race.  I held out until I reached the turnaround point of the first lap.
I walked slowly around the cone.  Then I accelerated into a race-walk gait.  I haven’t done much race-walking lately, but I have done a few workouts.  It was just enough that I’m starting to get my form back.  I could walk fast, although I knew I would eventually get tired.  I was really working my hips, and they were bound to get fatigued.
I didn’t know how my Achilles tendon would feel when I was race-walking.  To my relief, it felt just fine.  My knee also felt fine.  Race-walking was an option, but only if I didn’t get too tired.
I was curious to know what my pace would be when I was doing half running and half walking.  If I could do my laps in 20 minutes each, I’d be on pace for a six hour finish.  When I finished my first lap, I eagerly looked at the clock.  That lap took 16 minutes.  At that pace, I’d finish in 4:48.  That’s faster than yesterday, despite doing much more walking.  Perhaps it was faster because I was doing much more walking.  The more I walk, the faster I walk.
As I left the aid station to begin my second lap, I switched back to running.  My knee felt no worse than yesterday.  It didn’t quite feel normal, but it didn’t hurt.  My Achilles tendon again felt tight.  During that lap I felt another twinge or two of pain, but it seemed no worse than the first lap.  Maybe it was better.
I once again race-walked the second half of the lap.  As I started running again at the beginning of my third lap, I no longer noticed my right knee at all.  It actually felt better than yesterday.  Meanwhile, my left Achilles tendon was still a bit tight, but I didn’t have any more twinges of pain.  Running the first half of each lap and walking the second half seemed like it was going to be manageable.
Through my first five laps, I continued to average 16 minutes per lap.  Then I had to stop to refill my bottle, and for the first time, I fell behind that pace.
Someone asked me how fast I was walking.  I didn’t actually know.  I only knew my total time for each lap.  I didn’t know how much was running and how much was walking.
On my next lap, I checked my time at the turnaround.  I was running the first half of each lap in seven minutes and walking the second half in nine minutes.  I had to wait until after the race to calculate my pace.  It works out to a running pace of 9:37 per mile and a walking pace of 12:21 per mile.
The first time I tried to eat some solid food, I realized I was doing things in the wrong order.  Yesterday, I was starting a walking break each time I left the aid station.  That meant I was always unwrapping and eating food while walking.  Today, I was always running as I felt the aid station.  Eating a small candy bar while running isn’t that difficult, as long as the wrapper comes off easily.  A few laps later, I tried to eat a Nutri-grain bar.  It wasn’t as easy to open the wrapper while running, and those bars break apart easily.  To keep from dropping crumbs, I had to open one end and then basically slide the whole bar into my mouth at once.  I had already left the aid station, so I had to chew and swallow it without any water or Gatorade.  I didn’t do that again.
I considered switching to walking the first half and running the second half.  That would make eating easier, but I would need to walk the first half of one lap immediately after walking the second half of the previous lap.  I didn’t know if I could walk that far at once.
Because of my fast walking pace, I was putting much more energy into the walking.  Walking gave me a break from running, but running also gave me a break from walking.  Each gait used different muscles, and of the two, walking was more tiring.
Because we were doing a shorter loop today, we made more visits to the aid station.  I was drinking Gatorade more frequently, so I decided that I didn’t need any more solid food.  I continued running the first half of each lap.  For the rest of the race, I just drank Gatorade.
I reached the halfway mark in 2:25, which put me on pace to finish in 4:50.  I was beginning to slow down, but I was still going much faster than yesterday.
During my 12th lap, I started to notice some pain in my big toe.  I assumed it was a blister.  I’m much more prone to developing blisters when I race-walk, so I assumed it was the walking that was causing it.  Usually, I get them around the back of my heel.  I assumed a blister on my toe would be easier to drain.
I had enough discomfort in my toe that I seriously considered just running the rest of the way.  The running actually felt easier.  Most people who do run/walk pacing consider the walking to be a break from the running.  Increasingly, I was finding the running to be a break from the walking.  My running pace felt casual, while I was putting a lot of effort into my walking.
I still had six laps to go, which is a third of the race.  Running the last six laps seemed like too much.  I stuck to run half, walk half for another lap and then asked myself the same question.  It still seemed like too much.  One lap at a time, I kept doing the same thing.
With five laps to go, I had to refill my bottle again.  With four laps to go, I had to make a bathroom stop.  My walking pace was slowing down, and these delays made my laps even slower.
With three laps to go, I knew I could run the rest of the way, but I liked the symmetry of always running one half of the lap and walking the other half.  I could tolerate the painful toe.  I just wanted to make sure I was still on pace to break five hours.
With each passing lap, it seemed more obvious that I could maintain my current run/walk pattern and still break five hours.  Midway through my last lap, as I transitioned to walking, I looked at my watch.  I had less than three quarters of a mile to go, and I had almost 15 minutes to do it.  That was enough time that I could walk it at a casual pace.  I continued to walk at the best pace I could, although I could tell I was slowing down.
I finished in 4:54:18.  I slowed down some in the second half of the race, but that was to be expected.  I haven’t done enough race-walk training recently to sustain my pace.  Still, I was much faster than yesterday, and I did it with far less running.
It seems like I’ve found a template for coping with my injuries.  By the end of the race, I wasn’t noticing my right knee at all.  My left Achilles tendon is a long-term concern, but the walking breaks kept it from getting worse.  It actually seemed to get better.  It was really only bothering me in the first two laps.
If only all of these races had a nice smooth paved course like this one.  This surface was ideal.

Most of the other races, unfortunately, are some type of trail course.  They’re not technical, but the uneven surfaces make race-walking more difficult.  I can’t get into a nice smooth rhythm.
The fastest two runners form yesterday’s race weren’t here today.  There were other new arrivals, however, and they had fresh legs.  One of them went out at a pace nobody else could match.  He led the race from wire to wire.  Despite walking half of the race, I came in second.
I’ve finished the first two races, but I still have 18 to go.  Before the race, I overheard another runner talking about her experience doing 11 in a row.  She said for the first four days, each day got harder.  After that, they all felt the same.  I could live with that.

I have an insulated bag that can hold at least two gallons of crushed ice.  When I got back to the hotel, I made a trip to the ice machine to fill it.  When I got back, I took off my shoes and socks.  My big toe was now so painful I couldn’t wait to get my shoes off.
The sock on that foot felt really snug on my toes.  When I pulled it off, I saw the source of my pain.  I had a big blood blister under my toenail.  I was wrong about it being easy to drain.  I couldn’t see any easy way to relieve the pressure under my toenail.
The toenail with the blister was on my left foot.  I got the ice so I could ice my left ankle.  I pushed my left foot into the bag filled with ice.  While icing my ankle, I also iced my toe.  I propped my right leg onto a chair and put an ice pack on my right knee.  Might as well ice everything at once.
After I was done icing, I took a hot bath to loosen up my muscles.  Then I did all my usual stretches and massages.  My knee and my ankle are feeling OK.  My toe still hurts.
I’m hoping the blister was caused by a tight sock, rather than by my race-walking.  If that’s the case, I just need to be more careful putting on my socks.  I’m hoping my body will gradually reabsorb the fluid under my toenail.  We’ll see.  Every day seems to bring a new adventure.

Race Statistics
Distance:  26.2 miles
Time:  4:54:18
Average Pace:  11:14
Lifetime Marathons/Ultras:  407
Minnesota Marathons:  60

No comments:

Post a Comment