Saturday, September 19, 2020

Race Report: Running Ragged 20in20, Day 8


Today was the eighth day of the Running Ragged 20in20 Series.  Today, we returned to Bend in the River Regional Park, where the series began.  This course is all gravel and fairly flat.  It’s even easier than yesterday’s course, so I thought I might have a realistic chance of beating yesterday’s time.  I’ve been faster every day, and I wanted to keep that going for one more day, if I could.

It was 48 degrees at the start of the race.  Normally I’d wear tights for anything below 50, but it was going to warm up at least 20 degrees by the time I finished.  I wore shorts and a singlet, but also started the race wearing a jacket and gloves.
I’ve been icing my knee three or four times a day.   Yesterday was the first time I didn’t ice it immediately after the race.  I was in a hurry to run some errands.  I was noticing some minor discomfort in that knee later in the day.  I iced it in the evening and twice this morning.
In contrast to the last five days, today we needed to run 14 laps to complete a marathon.  It was the same out-and-back route that we ran last Saturday.
There’s a core group of runners who are racing every day, but other people are dropping in to do one race or a few races.  Every day, we’ve had at least one new arrival.  Now that it was a weekend, we had several new arrivals.
For the past few days, I’ve only been competing with myself.  Today, there was a possibility that one or more of the runners with fresh legs would be too fast for me.  Before deciding if I would compete, I had to see how fast some of the other runners were.
As I started running, I felt a little bit of discomfort in my right knee.  It only lasted for a few minutes.  As I got warmed up, it became less noticeable.  In time, I didn’t notice it at all.
Tim led the way through the first lap.  Tim often starts fast, so that wasn’t surprising.  The next runner behind Tim was Dylan.  Dylan was one of the runners with fresh legs.  This was his very first marathon, so I had no idea how fast he might run.
I gradually moved past Dylan.  I wanted to talk to Tim, so after the turnaround, I sped up enough to catch him.  Then I felt some discomfort in my left ankle.  There wasn’t any uneven footing.  I think it was a case of running too fast before my legs had a chance to warm up.  I was wearing shorts and there was a cold wind.  I ran the rest of the first lap with Tim.  By the end of the lap, my ankle felt OK again.
I didn’t know for sure if I would try to beat yesterday’s time, but I tentatively set a target pace of 19:50 per lap.  At the end of one lap, I was already two minutes ahead of that pace.
Tim told me he was going to slow down, so I started the second lap by myself.  I walked for the first two minutes.  While I was walking, Dylan passed me.  I didn’t worry about him getting ahead of me.  Without know how fast he would run, I needed to run my own race.
During the second lap, another one of the new arrivals caught up with me.  His name was Mike.  He was a more experienced runner.  I ran with Mike until the end of that lap.  His pace felt somewhat tiring to me.
By the time I finished the second lap, I was four minutes ahead of schedule.  I started the third lap with a four-minute walking break.  Mike continued running.  I didn’t worry about keeping up with either him or Dylan.  At this point, I was just racing myself.  I wanted to beat my time from yesterday.
By the end of my third lap, I was starting to feel warm with my jacket on.  When I got back to the aid station, I took it off and put it in my drop bag.  Within a few laps, I would also take off my gloves.  It started out cold, but it was a sunny day, and it warmed up quickly.
We weren’t the only people at the park.  I saw a group of about six people who seemed to be checking out the farmstead and taking pictures.  The women were all wearing nice dresses.  As the day progressed, I saw more people in the area.  I eventually learned that they were there for a wedding.
I was consistently having walking breaks that were at least four minutes.  Our course started out with a loop around the farmstead.  Then the trail straightened out, and we ran parallel to the river bluff.  At the start of my fifth lap, my walking break was so long that I made it almost all the way around the farmstead before starting to run.
I was suspicious about how long my walking breaks were getting.  I began to wonder if 19:50 per lap was the right amount of time for each lap.  I realized that 14 laps at 19:50 per lap actually adds up to 4:37:40, not 4:36 like I thought.  My time yesterday was 4:36:07.  I’m not sure how I arrived at 19:50, but 19:45 would’ve been closer.
I wondered at first if that really mattered.  I was finishing each lap about four minutes ahead of schedule.  Assuming I also finished my last lap that far ahead of schedule, my current pace would still be fast enough to beat yesterday’s time.
Whenever I saw Mike or Dylan, I noticed how far ahead they were.  Mike was never that far ahead of me.  Dylan got farther ahead each time I saw him, but this was his first marathon.  I didn’t know if he would pace himself well.  He might go out too fast and blow up.  I wasn’t going to try to catch either of them yet, but adjusting my pacing plan would keep me a little closer to them.  At the end of that lap, I recomputed my target time, using a target pace of 19:45 per lap.  That shortened my next walking break by 25 seconds, but I was still able to walk for three and a half minutes, and that was after making a bathroom stop.
When I finished my seventh lap, I was half done.  I got there in 2:14, which was four minutes ahead of yesterday’s pace.
In the second half of the race, I kept seeing more people arrive for the wedding.  Some of them were in formal attire.  I saw them gather behind a barn for what appeared to be the wedding ceremony.  I would’ve considered taking pictures, but my camera was in my drop bag.
During my eighth lap, I accidentally stepped in a small hole near the side of the trail.  It was a bit jarring, but I didn’t trip.  I was glad I stepped in the hole with my right foot.  If it was my left foot, it could’ve aggravated my Achilles tendon.
It seemed like Mike’s lead over me peaked at about four and a half minutes, and then he started coming back to me.  It occurred to me that if I took shorter walking breaks, I could reel him in.  There wasn’t any point in doing that, however, unless I could also catch Dylan.  Dylan’s lead kept growing every lap.  As I was starting my 11th lap, I saw Dylan nearing the end of his 11th lap.  I was still on my walking break.  I guessed that he was now 15 minutes ahead of me.  If he gained another three or four minutes, he would lap me.
After reaching the turnaround point of that lap, I expected to see Dylan soon.  I kept looking for him as I ran.  I was surprised how far I was getting without seeing him.  When I finally saw him, his lead was much smaller than before.  It couldn’t be much more than 10 minutes.  He was walking.  It was the first time in the race I saw him walk.  This wasn’t a planned walking break.  He was suffering.
It's worth noting that the last time I saw Dylan, he was about 20 miles into the race.  That’s where the wheels usually come off if you started too fast.  As I got closer, I saw the expression on his face.  It was a portrait of pain.
As I continued through my 11th lap, I started looking for Mike.  I  saw him leaving the aid station just before I got there.  His lead couldn’t be more than a minute.
As I left the aid station, I was almost five minutes ahead of schedule.  It occurred to me that if I skipped my walking break, I could shave about two and a half minutes off my time for the next lap.  That would probably be enough for me to pass Mike.  I had three laps to go.  If I skipped my walking breaks on all three laps, I could shave about seven minutes off my time.  The last time I saw Dylan, his lead was bigger than that, but he was evidently slowing down.  I decided to skip my walking break and immediately start running.  I had already made another bathroom stop on my previous lap.  I was glad to know I wouldn't need to stop again.
As I started my 12th lap, I looked for Mike.  While I was going around the farmstead, I could never see far enough ahead of me to see him.  Later, after the trail straightened out, I saw him.  I could tell he wasn’t running as fast.  I would pass him on this lap.
Just before I caught up to Mike, I saw Dylan coming back from the turnaround.  He was back to running now.  As he went by, I looked at my watch and made note of the time.  I passed Mike and kept running toward the turnaround.  As I made the turn, I looked at my watch again.  Three minutes and 16 seconds had elapsed since Dylan ran by me.  His lead was actually double that, so it was about six and a half minutes.
If Dylan was running as fast as before, I wouldn’t be able to make up a six-and-a-half-minute deficit in just two and a half laps.  Whether I could catch him would depend on how fast he ran and whether he did more walking.
As I got close to the farmstead, I could see the aid station from across a meadow.  I saw Dylan leaving the aid station.  He was walking with Kristina.  I continued around the farmstead.  The next time I saw Dylan, he was still with Kristina, but now they were running.  Kristina was going to stay with him for the rest of the race and make sure he finished.
As I started my 13th lap, I skipped my walking break again.  I didn’t even look at my time.  I just continued running.  This time, instead of looking for Mike, I was looking for Dylan.  I couldn’t see far enough as I was going around the farmstead.  As I got to the straight section along the river bluff, I still couldn’t see him.  Eventually, I caught a glimpse of him, but he disappeared around a bend before I could see if he was running or walking.  A short time later, I saw him again.  He and Kristina were walking.
I eventually passed Dylan.  He was clearly suffering, but Kristina and another runner were staying with him and helping him stay focused on finishing.
After making the turn, I could see I was already building a lead.  I kept running, but didn’t feel the need to push the pace.  When I finished that lap, I was more than ten minutes ahead of my original pacing plan.  I assumed I had a big enough lead that I could afford a walking break.  I didn’t walk for ten minutes, but I did walk for four minutes.
I saw Dylan go by shortly before I finished my walking break.  I assume Mike was right behind him, but I was talking to a friend, so I didn’t actually notice Mike.
I ran the rest of that lap, but my pace was somewhat relaxed.  After making the turnaround for the last time, I started looking for Mike.  I assumed by now that he would have passed Dylan.  I kept running.  I saw Dylan before I saw Mike.  I kept looking.  Where was Mike?  I was relieved when I finally saw him.  He was slowing down, but he was going to finish.
There was one more small bit of drama.  As I reached the farmstead, the wedding party was all gathered together.  I thought the ceremony was earlier, but this gathering looked formal.  They were on the trail.  I didn’t want to disrupt them by running between them, but I barely found enough room on the trail to get around them.
I finished the race in 4:25:11.  That’s almost 11 minutes faster than yesterday.  For the seventh straight day, I ran faster than the day before.  For the sixth straight day, I won the race.
I assumed Dylan would walk most of the way.  After seeing how far back Mike was, I wondered if it was really necessary to skip those two walking breaks.  Maybe I would’ve passed them both even if I stuck to my original pacing plan.  I didn’t have to wonder about that too long.  Long before I expected to see him, Dylan came running toward the aid station.  Kristina was no longer with him.  Dylan was running so fast that she didn’t try to keep up.
Dylan finished about five minutes after I did.  If I stuck to my original pacing plan, I would’ve finished a minute or two behind him.  The extra effort was worth it.
I was able to add my eighth medal to the base plate.  I’m now 40 percent of the way through this series.  This will be the last day that I try to run faster.  Tomorrow we’ll be on pavement, and I want to use that opportunity to do some race-walking.  That’ll give my knees, ankles, and quads a long-overdue break.

When I left the park, it was 72 degrees.  I wasn’t expecting it to get that hot.  It was also a sunny afternoon.  I’m sure the heat played a big role in the struggles of both Dylan and Mike.  I never noticed the heat while I was running.  I think my long walking breaks kept me from overheating.
When I got back to the hotel, I made a point of icing my knee before doing anything else.  Neglecting to do that is a mistake I won’t make again.
One last footnote to today’s race:  I never had any discomfort in my right foot.

Race Statistics
Distance:  26.2 miles
Time:  4:25:11
Average Pace: 10:07
Lifetime Marathons/Ultras:  413
Minnesota Marathons/Ultras:  66
Consecutive Days:  8
Consecutive Wins:  6

No comments:

Post a Comment