Thursday, September 24, 2020

Race Report: Running Ragged 20in20, Day 13


Today was the 13th day of the Running Ragged 20in20 Series.  Up until today, we’ve had dry weather.  This morning, I woke up to a loud crash of thunder.  I looked at the clock.  It was 5:30, which is about the time I usually get up.
After dragging myself out of bed and making a cup of tea, I turned on my phone to check the weather forecast.  It was going to rain for at least another hour, but it looked like the rain would stop around 7:00.  The race didn’t start until 9:00.
We were in Quarry Park for the third straight day, but today we had a new course.  Not having seen it yet, I didn’t know how much it would be affected by wet conditions.  The gravel trails we were running on yesterday probably don’t get muddy.  Some of the other trails do.
The weather wasn’t my biggest concern.  For the third time in four days, I woke up with a stiff neck.  The abrasions on two of my toes were rubbing against the bed, making it difficult to sleep comfortably.  Every time I tried to move into a position that was more comfortable for my feet, it turned out to be less comfortable for my neck.
I also noticed a sore spot on the back of my left heel, right where the Achilles tendon inserts.  That tendon has been tight lately, and earlier in the year, I had Achilles tendonitis at the insertion point.  My first impression this morning was that this series was going to be more difficult the rest of the way.
The temperature at the start of the race was similar to yesterday, but it didn’t warm up as much.  Instead of getting up to 80, it only got up to about 70.
Yesterday, I was feeling good, and I ran faster than I probably should have.  Today, I was planning to go a little easier.  My primary goal, as usual, was to break five hours.  Whether that would also be fast enough to win depended on whether anyone showed up with fresh legs.
I used my first lap to survey the course, looking for trip hazards or muddy patches.  I also decided where I would take my walking breaks.  I waited until my second lap to take pictures of the course.
As we started running, a runner I didn’t recognize took the lead.  I ran just fast enough so I wouldn’t fall too far behind him.  Jesse always leads everyone through the first lap, at least as far as the turnaround cone.  After I made the turn, I mentioned to Jesse that I didn’t recognize the runner who was out in front.  Jesse told me he was a local runner.  His name was Timm, and he was running the half marathon.  Most runners doing the half marathon start at 10:00, but they have the option of starting at 9:00 with the marathoners.
The leaves were still wet enough that a gust of wind could blow water out of the trees.  When that happened, it briefly felt like it was raining.  I only noticed that for the first lap.
Once I knew I didn’t have to compete with Timm, I ran a slightly more relaxed pace for the second half of the lap.  I finished that lap in about 17:30.  Then I took a walking break to start my next lap.
The trails we were running on were gravel.  The morning rain caused some of the leaves to fall.

The only part of the route that wasn’t gravel was a short boardwalk over a marsh.

From the boardwalk, we had some nice views.


There were puddles in a few places, but they didn’t cover the whole trail, so they were easy to avoid.  If anything, the wet conditions made it easier to run.  The gravel was firmly packed, instead of being loose.


Fairly early in our lap, we ran between the same two swimming holes that were next to the turnaround point of yesterday’s course.


After that, the course overlapped yesterday’s course for about a quarter mile.  Where that course made a right turn and started up a long hill, this one went straight and stayed fairly flat.  There was only about 50 feet of elevation change per lap.  The biggest “hill” was a 10-foot rise near the end of the lap.  Today’s out-and-back route was shorter than yesterday’s, so we had to run it 14 times to complete a marathon.
The section that overlapped yesterday’s course was the same section where the air felt cold yesterday.  Today it didn’t.  The wind must not have been right for us to get cold drafts near the swimming holes.
After completing my second lap, I put my camera in my drop bag, and I made a bathroom stop.  That still left me time for a walking break of about a minute and a half.
Since there weren’t any significant hills, there weren’t any places along the route where I needed to take a walking break because it was tiring.  Instead, I always did my walking at the beginning of a lap.
By now, I had decided to set a target pace of 20 minutes per lap.  At that pace, I would finish the marathon in less than 4:40.  I could’ve set a target pace of 21 minutes per lap, and it would still have been fast enough to break five hours.  I went with 20 minutes because it divides evenly into one hour.  Running three laps per hours not only made it easy for me to remember my target lap times, but it also made it easy to remember how many laps I had completed.  As usual, I varied the length of my walking breaks to keep from getting too far ahead of my target pace.
For the time being, 20-minute laps felt easy.  It the pace ever started to feel tiring, I could always switch to 21.  After my third lap, I was consistently having walking breaks of at least three minutes.  That was long enough to give me a good rest before I started running again.  On some laps, I got halfway across the boardwalk before I started running.
I realized after a few laps that I had been overly pessimistic before the race.  I did enough stretching of the muscles around me neck that the stiff neck I had in the morning was never an issue during the race.  My left Achilles tendon also wasn’t an issue.  Once I started running, it turned into a worry-free day.
By the time I finished my sixth lap, Timm was already done with the half marathon.  He finished in less than two hours.  It’s a good thing he wasn’t doing the marathon, because I could not have run at that pace.  After he finished, I was the fastest runner still on the course.  I ran by myself for the whole race.
In the second half of the race, I noticed it was getting warmer.  It wasn’t as hot as yesterday, but it turned into a sunny day.  When you were in the sun, you could feel it.  Fortunately, this course has a lot of shade.  Other than the start/finish area, the most sun-exposed part of the course was the boardwalk.
By the time I got to my last five laps, the pace didn’t feel quite as easy.  I didn’t try to force it.  I kept running with the same effort, and I allowed my pace to slow down.  As I did, my walking breaks got shorter.  For the last few laps, they were shorter than three minutes.  That’s OK.  It was still a long enough break that I felt well-rested by the time I started running again.  That was the important thing.  I was always fresh when I started running, and I never ran long enough to start feeling weary.  That was always my goal in 24-hour races.  My pacing today was similar.
Just before my last lap, I made a bathroom stop.  That cut into my last walking break.  It didn’t matter.  I must have subconsciously sped up on that lap, because I finished almost four minutes ahead of my target time of 4:40.
My time was 4:36:15.  That was only about two minutes slower than yesterday, but it felt much easier.
Tomorrow, we’ll be on the same course.  If I’m feeling good enough, I’ll shoot for 20-minute laps again.  If not, 21-minute laps would still be fast enough to break five hours.
When I finished the 6th race of this series, it was already the most consecutive days I had ever run marathons, but I still had two weeks to go.  Now, I’ve completed 13, and I only have one week to go.  That sounds manageable.

Race Statistics
Distance:  26.2 miles
Time:  4:36:15
Average Pace:  10:32
Lifetime Marathons/Ultras:  418
Minnesota Marathons/Ultras:  71

Series Statistics
Races Completed:  13
Under Five Hours:  13
Average Time:  4:42:20
Wins:  9

No comments:

Post a Comment