Monday, September 21, 2020

Race Report: Running Ragged 20in20, Day 10


Today was day ten of the Running Ragged 20in20 Series.  For the second time, we ran the trails at Mississippi River County Park.  This is the only course that makes me really nervous.  I’ve run two races here, and I tripped and fell both times.

The good news is that it hasn’t rained at all in the last week.  That meant trails that could easily be muddy were in good condition.  The bad news is that I still had to watch out for the roots.
During the night, my big toe got painful.  I altered how I was sleeping, so it wouldn’t rub against the bed.  That apparently cause me to sleep in a position that was bad for my neck.  I woke up with a stiff neck.  Turning my neck was difficult.  That’s not what you want on a day when you need to be looking for the roots.
My number one goal today was to avoid tripping and falling.  If I could do that and break five hours, great.  If I could do that and win the race, great.  Those things, however, were secondary.  I didn’t want to get careless.
We had to run 12 laps of an out-and-back-course.  It was the same course we ran last Monday.  It starts and ends with a short, but steep hill.  My plan was to walk up and down the hill every lap.  In between, I would run the sections I knew had no roots.  On the sections that had roots, I would slow to a walk whenever I saw roots.  As I learned last week, I wasn’t necessarily safe even where I didn’t see roots, so I needed to run at a somewhat cautious pace and keep my eyes glued to the trail.
I usually wear sunglasses for UV protection.  Today, I left the sunglasses at the hotel.  I wanted to see the trail as clearly as possible.  Most of the course is shaded, so I wasn’t going to have much UV exposure anyway.
The temperature at the start was 60, and it was going to get into the mid to upper 70s by the time I finished.  We’ve had a few cool mornings, but for the most part, we’ve had surprisingly warm weather for September.
In the past week, the leaves have started to turn, and some of them have started to fall.  During our pre-race briefing, Daniel told us there were leaves on the course, and it would be harder to see the roots.

I ran most of the first two laps with Kristina.  There was only one runner ahead of us, but she was doing the 5K race.  Once I realized that, I knew nobody was likely to complete with me for the win.  That was good to know, because I wanted to focus mostly on avoiding the roots.
I could see the bigger roots, but I wasn’t seeing any of the smaller ones.  I knew from last week’s race that for every root I was seeing, there were about 10 smaller ones that were obscured by the leaves.  With that in mind, I had to alter my pacing strategy.

I couldn’t just walk over the roots, because I didn’t know where they were.  Instead, I had to assume there were roots everywhere, and make sure I lifted my feet high enough to clear them.  That doesn’t come naturally for me.  I had to work at it.  I knew I could do it for the first few laps, but I didn’t know if I could keep that up for the whole race without getting too tired.
It hasn’t rained all week.  Most of the spots that were muddy last week were dry this week.  This was one of the few patches that was still somewhat muddy.

By contrast, this is what it looked like a week ago.

The only place where I could see any water was in the center of this muddy patch near the turnaround.

On one of the last turns before the turnarounds, there was one big tree with thick enough roots that I still wanted to slow to a walk as I went by.  Other than going up and down the hill, and around the cone at the turnaround, this was the only place where I slowed to a walk.

By my third lap, I had developed a gait where I was taking short hoppy steps.  I wasn’t going very far with each step, but I was getting my feet high enough to clear the roots.
About one third of the course was free of roots.  Actually, there were a few, but there were close together, and I knew exactly where they were.  Going out, I could run safely for about the first third.  Coming back, I could run safely for about the last third.  Everywhere in between, I had to lift my feet and look for roots.
The 5K race consisted of one full lap, plus one short lap, which had a different turnaround point.  The turnaround for the second lap of the 5K race was marked with a yellow cone.  On my fourth lap, I noticed that the yellow cone came just before the place where I had to start watching out for roots.
After that, I always looked for the yellow cone.  In until I got there, I could relax and run with my normal gait.  That allowed me to conserve energy.  After the cone, I had to switch to my “hoppy” gait.  On the second half of the loop, it was just the opposite.
I worried at first that lifting my feet higher off the ground might be hard on my injured knee.  After a while, I realize I should really be worrying about my tight left Achilles tendon.  Although I was bending my knees more, the extra lift to clear the roots was coming mostly from my ankles.
The only time I noticed my knee was on the hill at the beginning and end of each lap.  Walking up the hill, I always noticed some discomfort in my knee.  Walking down, I also had some knee discomfort, but not as much.  Everywhere else, my knee felt fine.

To finish the race in five hours, I needed to average 25 minutes per lap.  For the first half of the race, I was averaging about 24 minutes per lap.  My running pace was slower than usual, but I wasn’t doing as much walking as I originally planned.  On average, I was easily going fast enough.  Knowing that, I could focus on the roots and not worry about my pace.
I ran the first half of the race in 2:24, putting me six minutes ahead of schedule for a five hour finish.  I waited until I was past the halfway mark before making a bathroom stop.  There were two port-o-potties in the start/finish area, but they were next to the parking lot, which was a distance away from the aid station.  Using one of those would’ve been too far out of my way.  There was also a port-o-potty next to a parking lot near the boat launch.  We ran by there twice each lap.  It was a little out of the way, but not as much.  When I got there on my seventh lap, I made a stop.  At the end of that lap, I was pleased to see I was still six minutes ahead of schedule, even with the bathroom stop.
In the second half of the race, I started to see some of the smaller roots that weren’t visible earlier.  I think dozens of runners going back and forth on the trails was starting to clear away some of the leaves.  That made me feel a little safer, but I still had to assume that there were roots I couldn’t see.
By now, I noticed it was getting warmer.  I was worried, I’d get fatigued and start getting careless around the roots.  I had been running a little faster one the section without roots.  I switched to just using that section to conserve energy.  I switched to my natural gait there, but instead of running faster, I used less energy to run at the same pace.
Near the end of my 8th lap, as I was getting near the boat launch, I heard two screams from the other side of the parking lot.  I saw two runners emerging from the trail there and asked them what happened.  They saw a snake.  In some parts of the country, you have to be wary of venomous snakes.  Around here, most snakes are harmless.  I never saw it, but to me a snake is just like a root.  As long as I don’t trip on it, I’m fine with it.
In the second half of my 9th lap, I caught my foot on a root.  I was momentarily off balance, but I didn’t fall.  That was a warning sign.  I thought I was still picking up my feet, but I wasn’t picking them up as much as I thought.  I was starting to get fatigued.  What probably saved me form falling was the fact that I was running at a cautious pace.  With less forward momentum, it was easier to keep my balance.
When I got through my 10th lap, it was the farthest I’ve ever made it on this course without falling.  I just had to make it through two more laps.  I ran those laps pretty cautiously.
In my 11th lap, I made a second bathroom stop.  By now, I was 10 minutes ahead of schedule for a five hour finish, so I knew I had time.
It was in that same lap that it occurred to me that I never noticed any discomfort in my big toe.  Either it got better since morning, or I was so focused on the roots that I tuned it out.  I was noticing some discomfort in my left Achilles tendon.  It was never painful, but it was starting to get tighter.
By my last lap, I no longer seemed to have the energy to lift my feet.  I had to rely on looking carefully for the roots.  Then I saw a cluster of roots that looked like a plate of spaghetti.  Suddenly I found the energy to lift my feet higher.
In the second half of that lap, when I passed the yellow cone for the last time, I finally knew I was home free.  I took off running at full speed.  I didn’t need to go fast, but I wanted to.  For the entire race, I was either running with an unnatural gait for deliberately holding back to conserve energy.  I could finally cut loose and run hard, even if it was only for about a third of a mile.
I stopped running briefly to walk up the hill.  Then I ran through the pavilion to get to the aid station.  I finished in 4:47:08.  I not only broke five hours and won the race, but I race negative splits by one minute.
I’m now half done with this series.  I’ve done 10 of 20 races.  In a way, though, I feel like I’m two thirds done.  This is the only course that really scares me.  We have three races on this course, and I’m already done with two of them.

Before this series started, I didn’t know how fast I could run without gradually wearing myself down.  I thought I’d have to do a lot more walking.  I was thinking most of my times would be between five and six hours.  So far, all of my times have been under five hours.  Today’s course is the one I consider the hardest, and I’ve already broken five hours twice on this course.  At this point, my goal for the rest of the series will be to keep all of my times under five hours.
Race Statistics
Distance:  26.2 miles
Time:  4:47:08
Average Pace:  10:57
Lifetime Marathons/Ultras:  415
Minnesota Marathons/Ultras:  68

Series Statistics
Races Completed:  10
Under Five Hours:  10
Average Time:  4:44:06
Wins:  7

No comments:

Post a Comment