Wednesday, September 16, 2020

Race Report: Running Ragged 20in20, Day 5

Today was the fifth race in the Running Ragged 20in20 Series.  For the second straight day, we were at Quarry Park and Nature Preserve.  Today’s route was the same as yesterday.  Tomorrow and Friday, we’ll have a different route.
Having the same course as yesterday was both good news and bad news.  The good news is that I was already familiar with the course and could plan my race accordingly.  The bad news is that I had such a good race yesterday, that I couldn’t help but compare my lap times to yesterday’s race, and I had doubts about matching that performance.
Late last night, on the advice of a friend, I poked a pin under my toenail to drain the blister that had been causing me pain for the last three days.  To get the fluid out, I had to apply pressure to my toenail.  That was painful at the time, but my toe felt more comfortable during the night.  By morning, the blister gradually filled with fluid again, so I drained it again this morning.  It was easier to do it the second time.
I was up early, so I also had extra time to ice my right knee and my left Achilles tendon.  After a hot bath, I stretched and massaged various muscles in my legs.  My knee and Achilles tendon are both long-term concerns, but so far, I’ve been able to keep them from getting worse.
I weigh myself every morning.  Day-to-day fluctuations tell me if I’m drinking the right amount.  Today, for example, my weight was down a pound from yesterday.  That tells me I probably didn’t drink enough yesterday.  I paid more attention to my fluid intake today.  It helped that the weather was much cooler today.  Yesterday, it was in the mid-60s when we started.  Today, the forecast high was 66.  Longer-term trends tell me if I’m eating enough.  So far, my weight has bounced around within a fairly narrow range.  It doesn’t seem to be trending up or down.  That tells me I’m eating about the right amount to replace the calories I’m burning.  That doesn’t matter so much in the short-term, but it’ll be more important by the end of the series.
Before today, I broken five hours four days in a row.  I ran faster than the day before three days in a row.  I finished first overall two days in a row.  None of those trends can continue forever, and I had doubts about keeping them going today.  With that in mind, I tried to start the day with low expectations.  In the early laps, I planned to pace myself the same way I did yesterday.  After that, I would just have to wait and see what happened.  That approach worked well in my previous races.  I’ve had good races only because I didn’t try to force it.
Just before the race I overheard Tim telling another runner that one of his ankles was bothering him.  When I asked him about it, he said he was planning to run more conservatively today.  Usually, he’s the one who goes out fastest in the early laps.
To briefly recap the configuration of the course, it was an out-and-back that we ran 12 times.  At the beginning and end of each lap is a section of gravel that’s fairly runnable.  The middle part of each lap is a longer section of grass and clay that has lots of uneven footing.  At the transition between these two sections, there’s a short area where the trail is covered with rocks.  Finally, near the turnaround, we had to go up and over a dome of smooth granite.  Coming from the turnaround, the approach to the granite is a tiring hill.
In the first lap, I started running with Tim.  For the first few minutes, running felt a little awkward.  I don’t know if that was my knee or if it was just stiff muscles that needed to warm up.  After about a quarter mile, running got much easier.  My right knee didn’t bother me, my left Achilles tendon didn’t bother me, and my big toe didn’t hurt nearly as much as it has for the last three days.
The only two runners ahead of us were Jessica and Greg, who were running together.  After talking to Jessica yesterday, I knew her goal was to break five hours.  Later, I learned that Greg was also hoping to break five hours, and that’s why he was starting with Jessica.
In my first lap, I usually carry a camera and take pictures.  That helps me ease into the race, so I don’t go out too fast.  Today, I paused at the high point of the course to take pictures of the rock formations on either side.


On my way back from the turnaround, just after going over the granite dome, I used a long gradual downhill section to pick up my pace just enough to catch up to Jessica and Greg.  For the rest of the lap, I ran right behind them.  We were going at the same pace that I started yesterday, but today it felt easier.  I felt like I had to slow down to stay behind Jessica and Greg.
My plan for the first half of the race was to keep running with Jessica and Greg.  I felt like I could go faster, but I saw to reason why I should.  We were already on a pace to break five hours, and the three of us were leading the race.
Yesterday, I struggled with the uneven footing for the first two laps.  Today, it was never a problem.  I think, after running 12 laps on this course yesterday, I learned how to run it without having any awkward steps.
If I was running by myself, I would’ve started each lap with a short walking break.  Jessica and Greg weren’t doing that, so I didn’t either.  The pace felt easy enough that I didn’t need them.  There was a small hill in the middle of the gravel section.  Jessica and Greg were walking that, so I did too.  I always walked over the brief section with rocks.  At first Jessica and Greg were running through that, but it was short enough that I could easily catch up.  Eventually, Greg started walking it too.  I don’t remember if Jessica ever walked that part.  Finally, we all walked up the hill and over the granite dome.
For the first lap or two, Jessica and Greg were chatting.  Later, I joined in the conversation.  We all shared various running experiences.  Among other things, I learned that Jessica has done the FANS race twice.  In fact, she ran the 24-hour race the same year I walked it.  Our mileage totals were similar, so we probably saw each other during that race.  Eventually, Jessica started listening to an audio book.  Then Greg and I kept chatting.
If one of us took a little extra time at the aid station, the others would walk until they caught up.  We stayed together for the first half of the race.
To finish the marathon in five hours, we needed to average 25 minutes per lap.  We were averaging a little less than 24 minutes.  We reached the halfway mark in roughly 2:23.  That’s about two minutes faster than my halfway split from yesterday.
Jessica wanted to run the first half a little bit fast, but then she backed off a little.  She was pacing herself to make sure she broke five hours.  Greg and I continued running at the same pace.  By the time we finished nine laps, we were nine minutes ahead of schedule for a five-hour finish.  In the 10th lap, I felt like we were running faster.  I was disappointed to see that that lap was actually slower than the others.  I think it was the only lap that took more than 25 minutes.
During our next lap, as we were running the grass and clay section, I felt like we were slowing down.  I picked up the pace.  Greg tried to stay with me, but he was beginning to fall behind.  Just before we got to the granite dome, I saw Tim just ahead of us.
Every lap, we got farther ahead of Tim.  Now we were almost a full lap ahead of him.  I paused to let Greg catch up, and I told him if he could push hard just a little bit longer, he could lap Tim.  That gave him a short-term goal.
We reached the turnaround just after Tim did.  We passed him on the way back.  Greg stayed with me all the way to the end of that lap.  When we got back to the aid station, I realized it was our fastest lap so far.
With one lap to go, Greg now had a cushion of more than 12 minutes.  He said he was going to give back some of that cushion in the last lap.  I told him I was going to run hard in the last lap.
Our 11th lap took just over 22 minutes.  If I could to that again, I could beat my time from yesterday.  I wasn’t originally going to try to do that, but now it was within my reach.
I ran hard all the way through the gravel section.  I walked over the rocks, but ran hard the rest of the way to the turnaround.  I even ran up and over the granite dome.  I had never run that section before.
When I got to the turnaround, I looked at my watch.  I was hoping to get there in 11 minutes.  I got there in nine!
Now I knew I had it.  I walked up the hill to the granite dome, but then I went back to running hard.  I already knew I would beat my time from yesterday, but I didn’t let up.
I finished in 4:41:35.  I won for the third straight day, and I continued my streak of getting faster every day.  I picked up my “5” medal and drank some chocolate milk.

Before I knew it, Greg was already finishing.  As it turns out, he didn’t give any time back in the last lap.  He ran it in about 25 minutes.  We both waited for Jessica to finish.  She broke five hours with almost five minutes to spare.
I drove back to the hotel, parked the car, and then realized I forgot my drop bag.  I immediately drove back to the race to retrieve it.  When I got out of the car, my left Achilles tendon was so tight, I was walking with a slight limp.  It felt fine when I left the race, but 20 minutes sitting in a car was evidently too much.  The combination of running so fast in my last lap and sitting for so long afterward was the perfect storm to make it get tight.
When I got back to the hotel and took off my shoes and socks, I saw a small drop of clear discharge on my big toe, right where I drained the blister earlier.  I suddenly noticed that the toenail was no longer discolored.  There was no longer any blood underneath it.  I also realized for the first time that my toe no longer hurt.
My first priority now was to ice my Achilles tendon.  While I was at it, I also iced my right knee.  After taking a bath, my Achilles tendon felt fine, but I need to keep an eye on it.  I’ll be stretching it diligently.
Tomorrow, we’ll be back at Quarry Park again, but we’ll be running a different route.  I expect it to be easier.  It’ll be all gravel, with no roots and no uneven footing.

Race Statistics
Distance:  26.2 miles
Time:  4:41:35
Average Pace:  10:44
Lifetime Marathons/Ultras:  410
Minnesota Marathons/Ultras:  63

No comments:

Post a Comment