Friday, September 25, 2020

Race Report: Running Ragged 20in20, Day 14


For day 14 of the Running Ragged 20in20 Series, we were back at Quarry Park & Nature Preserve.  We had the same course as yesterday.  That was good for two reasons.  First, I like this course.  Second, I knew exactly what to expect.

I knew my friend Justin was going to be here, and he’s much faster than me.  Knowing I wouldn’t win the race, I could just focus on pacing myself to break five hours.  In particular, I didn’t have to worry about keeping up with anyone else in the first lap.
Today’s weather was a little warmer than yesterday.  It was about 60 degrees at the start, but it warmed up fast.  By the time I finished, it got into the mid-70s.
Yesterday, I paced myself using variable-length walking breaks, with a target pace of 20 minutes per lap.  Today, I did the same thing.  For the first half of the race, I ran each lap at a comfortable pace, and then started the next lap with a walking break.  I resumed running when the time on my watch was a multiple of 20 minutes.
In the first lap, Justin took the lead, followed by a runner who was doing the half marathon.  Justin decided to adopt my pacing method, but he set a target pace of 15 minutes per lap.
Yesterday, on this same course, I only walked at the beginning of each lap.  Today, I also took a brief walking break going up a small hill near the end of the lap.  It wasn’t a long enough hill to be tiring, but I thought walking up the hill would be easier on both my right knee and my left Achilles tendon.
Because of the way we were each pacing ourselves, I finished my third lap around the same time Justin finished his fourth lap.  Now we were both starting a walking break at the same time.  We each had a target time of one hour from the start before we needed to resume running.
When we resumed running, we were halfway across a boardwalk that leads across a marsh.  At first, I matched Justin’s running pace, but it was too fast for me.  As soon as we got off the boardwalk and onto the gravel trail, I backed off and ran at my own pace.
The course we were running on went between two of the deep swimming holes in this park.  On Tuesday and Wednesday, we were running on a different course that went by these same two swimming holes.  On those days, I consistently noticed cold drafts on this part of the course.  That’s the result of wind blowing over the icy cold water.  I was hoping we would get those same cold drafts today, but they weren’t there this morning.
In the first half of the race, my pace felt pretty easy, but I was worried I might have to slow down in the second half of the race, as it got hotter.  I had been counting on those cold draft to keep me cool.
When I finished my sixth lap, I was expecting Justin to be finishing his eighth lap.  I didn’t see him yet, so a made a bathroom stop.  When I emerged from the port-o-potty, I still didn’t see Justin, so I started walking.
After walking for about a minute, I saw Justin running from the other direction.  He said he lost a lot of time in that lap.  I knew I would finish my walking break before he could catch up with me.
Justin runs much faster than I do, so I assumed he would pass me within a few minutes.  He didn’t.  I kept running and got all the way to the turnaround without seeing him.  After I made the turn, I saw Justin.  I didn’t seem to be running as fast as before.  It looked more like he was running at my pace.  I suspect he slowed down, so he could catch up to me at the end of the lap.  That’s what happened.
At I finished that lap, I was half done with the race.  I had seven laps left.  Justin was two laps ahead of me, so he just had five laps to go.
We started our walking breaks together.  Justin said he was going to run the next two laps with me and then go back to running on his own.
I was scheduled to walk until my watch read 2:20.  Justin was no longer on his original schedule, but we both took the same walking break.  Then we resumed running.  I’m sure Justin slowed down, but it was still a little fast for me.  I had to work a little harder to keep up with him during that lap.  At times, I felt my left Achilles tendon tightening up a little.
When we finished the lap and got back to the aid station, I was covered with sweat.  Running faster in that lap was causing me to overheat.  The good news is that we finished the lap so quickly that we could now walk for five and a half minutes.
Before we left the aid station, I drank more Gatorade than usual.  Then we had a nice long walking break.  The walking break was long enough that I was able to cool down again.
As we resumed running again, Justin slowed down for me.  It was much easier to keep up in that lap.  Now that we weren’t going as fast, I no longer noticed any discomfort in my Achilles tendon.
Now, we started noticing cold drafts near the swimming holes.  They weren’t there in the morning, but they were there when we needed them.  It felt really refreshing whenever we went by that part of the course.  It also started to get cloudy.  It was in the 70s now, but the occasional cold draft and the cloud cover did a lot to make the heat more manageable.
When we finished that lap, Justin said he would do one more with me and then do the last two on his own.  He ended up doing those two laps with me as well.  In all, we ran five laps together.  We were having a nice conversation, and running together made the laps pass more easily for both of us.
Running with me slowed him down, but Justin still finished in less than four hours.  After that, I still had two laps to go.
As I started my 13th lap, Tim caught up to me.  He mentioned that he was hoping to break five hours.  Tim was one lap behind me, and I was on pace to break 4:40.  If Tim ran with me on my last two laps, it would keep him on pace to break five hours.
Instead of doing my usual walking break, I started running with Tim.  Tim’s pace was about the same pace I would’ve run by myself.  After we finished that lap, I persuaded Tim to join me in a walking break as we started the next lap.
After our walking break, I ran with Tim for the rest of that lap.  That was my last lap, but Tim still had one lap to go.  I finished in 4:37:13.  Tim had almost 23 minutes to run his last lap.  After doing two laps in 20 minutes each, we were both pretty confident he could do that.  I wasn’t there when Tim finished, but I later saw in the results that he finished in 4:56.
I ran the entire second half of my race with Justin and Tim.  I can’t remember another day when the second half of the race seemed to fly by so quickly.
I’ve been running marathons every day for two weeks now.  I just have six days to go.  That’s the number of races I originally signed up for, when I was just going to do the Summer Camp Series.

Race Statistics
Distance:  26.2 miles
Time:  4:37:13
Average Pace:  10:34
Lifetime Marathons/Ultras:  419
Minnesota Marathons/Ultras:  72

Series Statistics
Races Completed:  14
Under Five Hours:  14
Average Time:  4:41:58
Wins:  9

No comments:

Post a Comment